Search
 

How to Help Get Rid of Fleas in Your Home

Dog in flea-infested homeA bite. Brown moving specks in your pet's fur. Another bite. And now your whole house can't stop scratching. Uh-oh, you've got fleas. It's bad enough to find a few fleas and it's even worse when you understand there may be a lot more. In fact, by the time you see a flea, there's a good chance you have a full-blown flea infestation in your home. That's because the adult fleas you see are only 5% of a flea infestation. The remaining 95% consist of flea eggs, flea larvae and pupae hiding in your home and in your yard.

What you can do if you have fleas in your house

It's your space, and you thought you made it clear that bloodsucking invaders are not welcome. Yet in addition to your pet, wildlife in your yard or even hitchhikers on your own clothes can be a starting point for bringing fleas into the home. So, how to help get rid of fleas in your house?

Start by cleaning. Really cleaning. Spring cleaning, fall cleaning, in-laws-coming-to-visit cleaning. Fleas like to hide where your pet spends most of its time. They like dark, cool environments, such as baseboards, crevices and upholstery.

how to get rid of fleas in the home - option 1

  • Vacuum floors, carpets, area rugs and furniture
  • Throw vacuum bags away or empty vacuum canisters outside in the trash

how to get rid of fleas in the home - option 2

  • Wash pet bedding, including covers and inserts, in hot water

how to get rid of fleas in the home - option 3

  • Wash your family bedding in hot water
  • Wash bathroom rugs and throw blankets — any places your pet likes to sleep or lounge

how to get rid of fleas in the home - option 4

how to get rid of fleas in the home - option 5

  • Fog your home: choose a fogger that kills multiple flea life stages, and always follow label directions

How to know if the fleas are gone

Your house is clean! But how can you tell if fleas are gone from your house? There may be no definitive answer, but you can monitor your pets for scratching, chewing, hair loss and touch sensitivity as signs that fleas are back.

How to help keep an infestation from coming back

During your initial efforts, you worked to get rid of fleas in your home, but the entire cycle can start over. Stay vigilant! All your hard work can be undone by visiting wildlife in your yard, a puppy play date or unhatched eggs that survived the first round — but only if you allow it. Repeat the steps as necessary until you no longer find fleas in your house.

  • Vacuum thoroughly and regularly
  • Clean the interior of your car — you never know when fleas hitched a ride to work with you
  • Clean pet bedding every week
  • Treat your yard as directed by the product label
  • Apply an appropriate flea preventive to all cats and dogs in your household, both indoor and outdoor pets

Fight back at fleas

Fleas are tiny but can pack a big punch. They reproduce quickly, hide, and have four life stages, during some of which they can be dormant, surviving for months without feeding. Beyond the itch, flea bites can lead to diseases in your pets. Swallowing an infected flea can also transmit tapeworms to your pets. Don't wait for fleas to come back to you — bring the fight to them. Take care to hep protect your home and pets to enjoy more moments of a happier life together.

Related articles:
Flea & Tick Life Cycle
How to Help Get Rid of Fleas & Ticks in Your Yard
How to Help Get Rid of Fleas on Your Dog
How to Help Get Rid of Fleas on Your Cat

teaser-img

Fleas are a real concern.

Take a closer look at what a nightmare flea infestations can be.

WATCH NOW

Bayer Products

  • Advantage<sup>®</sup> Household Spot and Crevice Spray

    Advantage® Household Spot and Crevice Spray

    Kills fleas, dust mites and brown dog ticks in hard-to-reach places in your home.

    Not for use on pets. Use as directed.

    Advantage® Household Spot and Crevice Spray

    Indicated for:

    FLEAS
    FLEAS
    BROWN DOG TICKS
    BROWN DOG TICKS
    DUST MITES
    DUST MITES
    BED BUGS
    BED BUGS

  • Advantage Household Fogger

    Advantage® Household Fogger

    Kill adult and pre-adult fleas - including flea eggs - for 7 months.

    Not for use on pets. Use as directed.

    Advantage® Household Fogger

    Infected for:

    FLEAS
    FLEAS

  • Advantage Carpet Upholstery Spot Spray

    Advantage® Carpet & Upholstery Spot Spray

    Help control an infestation in your home by killing fleas, brown dog ticks, dust mites and bed bugs.

    Not for use on pets. Use as directed.

    Advantage® Carpet & Upholstery Spot Spray

    Indicated for:

    FLEAS
    FLEAS
    BROWN DOG TICKS
    BROWN DOG TICKS
    DUST MITES
    DUST MITES
    BED BUGS
    BED BUGS