How often should I apply a medicated flush for my pet?
Your vet will recommend a course of therapy; it’s important to follow your veterinarian’s instructions. They may recommend an upfront treatment plan, and as symptoms improve, they may reduce the frequency to help manage the condition long term.
How often should I use a medicated shampoo on my pet?
Your vet will recommend a course of therapy; it’s important that you follow your veterinarian’s instructions. If you bathe your pet too often, you could make their skin condition worse. It’s also important to maximize each bath, so ensure you leave the shampoo on the skin and coat for the recommended contact time per your veterinarian’s instructions.
Should I use a gentle grooming shampoo prior to applying a medicated shampoo?
A gentle grooming shampoo is a great option to use before applying a medicated shampoo. Veterinary dermatologists recommend cleaning the skin and coat prior to applying a medicated shampoo in order for the medicated shampoo to have more contact with clean skin.
How do I bathe my dog or cat with a medicated shampoo?
Before you begin, have plenty of towels on hand and keep all your supplies nearby. You may even want to prefill your tub or sink to help reduce stress.
- Wet your pet's entire body using lukewarm water, ensuring the water is not too hot.
- Apply the recommended amount of shampoo according to the label, working it into your pet’s coat from the neck down to the tail. Medicated shampoos typically do not lather well.
- Follow label or veterinary instructions regarding contact time, etc.
- Rinse completely, removing all soap residue to help minimize flaking.
- Towel dry your cat or dog. Do not use a blow dryer, as it could exacerbate your pet’s skin condition.
How do I know if my pet needs a medicated shampoo?
If your pet has a skin condition that requires a medicated shampoo, you should consult your veterinarian; they will put together a plan to address your pet’s specific skin condition. Make sure to ask if you can utilize topical skin therapy products like medicated shampoos with their course of therapy; your vet may recommend a medicated shampoo, like Malaseb® Shampoo, to help manage bacterial and yeast skin infections.