Advantage® II for Cats
Why choose Advantage® II for Cats?
How does Advantage® II work for your cat?
Prevents and treats: Kills fleas at multiple life stages
Works for: Cats and kittens 8 weeks of age or older
Application type: Drops
Treatment frequency: Monthly
No prescription required
Our Advantage® family of products can help arm you in the fight against fleas to treat your pet, home and yard.
Adult fleas can come into your home on people’s clothing or on other pets, and you may not even know it. So you might not realize that fleas may already be a problem on your cat.
How does Advantage® II for Cats work?
How to apply Advantage® II for Cats
Ready to protect your cat from fleas?
Top questions about Advantage® II for Cats
How do I store and dispose of Advantage® II?
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal of Advantage® II.
- Storage: Store in a cool, dry place. Protect from freezing. Keep out of reach of children.
- Disposal and Container Handling: Non-refillable container. If empty: Do not reuse this container. Place in trash or offer for recycling if available. If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Can I bathe my cat after applying Advantage® II?
Yes. Advantage® II is waterproof after 24 hours. However, we suggest bathing your cat before applying Advantage® II. Just make sure your cat is dry before application. If you choose to bathe your cat in between treatments, we recommend use of a general grooming shampoo for pets. Keep in mind that more frequent bathing may keep the product from working the full 30 days.
Can I use Advantage® II for cats on dogs?
No, do not use Advantage® II for cats on dogs. Please follow label directions for the application of our flea products.
Can I split tubes of Advantage® II between my cats?
No, you cannot split tubes of Advantage® II for cats between multiple cats. To successfully prevent and control fleas, cats must be treated with their own dose of Advantage® II. Follow label directions for application.
How does Advantage® II for cats work?
Advantage® II for cats combines two active ingredients:
- Imidacloprid attacks the flea’s nervous system — paralyzing and ultimately killing it.
- Pyriproxyfen is an insect growth regulator (IGR) that kills flea eggs and larvae.
This combination plays a crucial role in treating and preventing infestations, because:
- In an existing infestation, you might only be aware of the adult fleas, which only represent around 5% of the full infestation and are found on the pet.
- Immature flea life stages which live in the pet’s environment consist of around 95% of the infestation and can be almost invisible to the naked eye.
What is the difference between Advantage® II for cats and oral flea products?
Advantage® II flea prevention is applied to your cat topically, spreading over the skin and hair. It kills fleas through contact, so fleas do not have to bite your cat to die. With oral flea medications, fleas have to bite your cat and ingest the medication before they are killed.
How do I apply Advantage® II for cats?
Applying Advantage® II for cats flea control to your feline friend is easy and convenient. Before applying, check the weight range and minimum age on the package to choose the appropriate product for your cat.
How to apply Advantage® II for cats:
- Remove the tube from packaging and open it by putting the cap on the other end and twisting to break the seal.
- Part the hair where the cat's head and neck come together (base of the skull) and place the tip of the tube on the skin, gently squeezing to expel the entire solution out onto the skin.
- Lift the tube away from their skin, while maintaining pressure on the tube to make sure the product has all been squeezed out.
For more detailed instructions, watch our application video.
How old does my cat have to be to use Advantage® II?
You can use Advantage® II for cats on kittens and cats 8 weeks of age and older.
Does Advantage® II for cats expire?
There is no expiration date required on the packaging by the EPA for Advantage® II for cats. We recommend the product should be kept in its original packaging and stored as directed on the label.
How long does Advantage® II for cats take to work?
Advantage® II for cats kills fleas within 12 hours of application.
Can I touch my cat after applying Advantage® II for cats?
Do not have contact or allow children to have contact with the area treated with Advantage® II for cats until completely dry.