Advantage® II for Dogs
Why choose Advantage® II for your dog?
How does it work?
Prevents and treats: Kills fleas at multiple life stages.
Works for: Dogs and puppies at least 7 weeks of age
Application type: Drops
Treatment frequency: Monthly
No prescription required
Our Advantage® family of products can help arm you in the fight against fleas to treat your pet, home and yard.
Unlike chewable forms of flea prevention, Advantage® II is applied topically and kills flea eggs, flea larvae and adult fleas through contact with your treated dog. So fleas do not have to bite your dog to die. And by killing eggs and larvae, you can break the flea life cycle.
How does Advantage® II for Dogs work?
How to apply Advantage® II for Dogs
Ready to protect your dog from fleas?
Top questions about Advantage® II for Dogs
Does Advantage® II for dogs expire?
There is no expiration date required on the packaging by the EPA for Advantage® II for dogs. The product should be kept in its original packaging and stored as directed on the label.
Can I bathe my dog after applying Advantage® II?
Yes. However, we suggest bathing your dog before applying Advantage® II. Just make sure your dog is dry before application. If you choose to bathe your dog in between treatments, we recommend use of a general grooming shampoo for pets. Keep in mind that more frequent bathing may keep the product from working the full 30 days.
Can my dog go swimming after I apply Advantage® II?
Yes! Your dog is free to take a dip after Advantage® II has been on for 24 hours. However, more frequent swimming may keep the product from working the full 30 days.
Can I apply Advantage® II for dogs on my cats?
No, do not use Advantage® II for dogs on cats. Please follow label directions for the application of our flea products.
How does Advantage® II for dogs work?
Advantage® II for dogs combines two active ingredients:
- Imidacloprid attacks the flea's nervous system - paralyzing and ultimately killing it.
- Pyriproxyfen is an insect growth regulator (IGR) that kills flea eggs and larvae.
This combination plays a crucial role in treating and preventing infestations, because:
- In an existing infestation, you might only be aware of the adult fleas, which only represent around 5% of the full infestation and are found on the pet.
- Immature flea life stages which live in the pet's environment consist of around 95% of the infestation and can be almost invisible to the naked eye.
What’s the difference between Advantage® II for dogs and oral flea products?
Advantage® II flea prevention is applied to your dog topically, spreading over the skin and hair. It kills fleas through contact, so fleas do not have to bite your dog to die. With oral flea medications, fleas have to bite your dog and ingest the medication before they are killed.
How long does Advantage® II for dogs last?
A single application of Advantage® II for dogs stops biting fleas for one month. However, if the dog has a severe infestation, retreatment within a month may be necessary. See product label for additional information.
How often can you use Advantage® II for dogs?
Use Advantage® II for dogs monthly, year-round to help keep your pet protected from fleas. Follow label directions for application.
How do I apply Advantage® II for dogs?
Applying Advantage® II for dogs flea control to your canine companion is easy and convenient. Before applying, check the weight range and minimum age on the package to choose the appropriate product for your dog.
How to apply Advantage® II for dogs:
- Remove the tube from packaging and open it by putting the cap on the other end and twisting to break the seal.
- Place the tip of the tube on the skin between your dog's shoulder blades and gently squeeze to expel the solution on their skin. The number of application spots depends on the size and weight of your dog.
- Lift the tube away from their skin, while maintaining pressure on the tube to make sure the product has all been squeezed out.
For more detailed instructions, watch our application video.
How old does my dog have to be to use Advantage® II for dogs?
You can use Advantage® II for dogs on puppies and dogs 7 weeks of age and older.
How long does Advantage® II for dogs take to work?
Advantage® II for dogs kills fleas on dogs within 12 hours of application.
Can I touch my dog after applying Advantage® II for dogs?
Do not have contact or allow children to have contact with the area treated with Advantage® II for dogs until completely dry.
How do I store and dispose of Advantage® II?
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal of Advantage® II.
- Storage: Store in a cool, dry place. Protect from freezing. Keep out of reach of children.
- Disposal and Container Handling: Non-refillable container. If empty: Do not reuse this container. Place in trash or offer for recycling if available. If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.